Did you know that you shed 5 million skin cells each day, and apparently these microscopic cells hang around in the air. In fact, you even inhale these skin cells hanging in the air. Read on for more weird and fun human body facts.
1. The most hard working muscle in our body is the heart. It creates enough energy in one day to move a truck by 30 kilometers.
2. During its lifetime, the heart pumps about 1.5 million barrels of blood.
3. Our hair grow by six millimeters every month for six years. After six years, the hair falls out and new hair replaces it.
4. Our brain is 60% fat. When awake, our brain generates enough energy to light up a 25 watts light bulb.
5. Human brain has no pain receptors. This is the reason doctors can perform neurosurgery while the patient is conscious.
6. Of all the senses like sight, hearing, smell, taste or touch, smell is the one creatures on earth developed first. Our brain has the ability to recognize 50,000 different odors.
7. Our brain never stops working. An average person thinks about 70,000 thoughts in a day.
8. If you unfold all the veins, arteries and capillaries in your body, you can go around the planet two and a half times.
9. The wind from your nose when you sneeze travels as about 64 kmph. That’s running speed of tigers.
10. Nose and ears in human body never stop growing. This is why older people have larger nose and ear.
11. Newborn babies can recognize their mother within just few hours of birth. Newborn human babies develop 8,000 neurons per second when they are in the uterus.
12. It takes our brain 2 years to mature completely. The most number of neurons in our brain in lifetime is when we are two years old.
13. An average person consumes about 75,000 liters of water in their lifetime and produces about 24,000 liters of saliva. This much saliva is enough to fill up two swimming pools.
14. You must have already known that skin is the largest organ in the body. Every minute, the skin gets rid of 50,000 dead cells. In a lifetime, we shed about 18.1 kilograms of skin.
15. If the human eye were a camera, it would be able to capture images of 576 megapixels and distinguish around 10 million colors.
16. If we collect all the iron in our body, we can make a 7.6 centimeter long nail.
17. By the age of 40 years, our brain has stored up to a billion bits of information.
18. We have around 10,000 taste buds in our tongue. But we can’t taste unless we can smell.
19. The heart can keep beating for sometime after separated from body because it generates its own electrical impulse.
20. The hardest substance in the human body is teeth enamel. This is also the reason why teeth take the longest to decompose.
21. The size of the human eyeballs never changes from birth to death.
22. The chemical composition of our tears is different when we cry tears of joy, sadness, or allergic.
23. In the body of an average adult, ten times more bacteria live than human body cells.
24. You are taller in the morning than in the evening. When you sleep, your spine is free from downward force exerted by gravity. So while sleeping, the space between the vertebrae is replaced with fluids that stretches the spine.