Inaugurated on January 4, 2010, Burj Khalifa Dubai, the tallest building in the world measures 828 meters. It can be seen from 100 kilometers away if it’s a clear day. Read on for awesome Burj Khalifa facts.
1. Before its inauguration its name was supposed to be Burj Dubai (the tower of Dubai) but it was changed the name to honor the president of the United Arab Emirates, Khalifa bin Zayed al Nahayan.
2. Its total length equals three times the Eiffel Tower, 15 times the fall of the Niagara Falls and twice the Empire State building.
3. The exterior of the Burj Khalifa is covered with 26,000 glass panels. The glass panels occupy an area of 120,000 square meters.
4. To wash the 26,000 windows installed in the building, three horizontal tracks are installed on it, each can hold 1500 kilos of bucket. Due to the risk and daredevilness involved, the window cleaners of Burj Khalifa make $10 to $25 per hour.
5. Per day water consumption of Burj Khalifa equals 946,000 L (250,000 U.S. gal) of water, which is supplied through 100 km long pipes.
6. If the reinforcing bars that hold the structure of Burj Khalifa were placed horizontally on earth, they would cover about one quarter of distance around the equator.
7. The soil in Dubai is sandy and loose. It is incapable if withstanding the weight of a massive structure like the Burj Khalifa. To support the weight of Burj Khalifa, a superstructure 49 meters deep was made.
8. The base of Burj Khalifa is Y-shaped. The structure of Burj Khalifa is inspired by a flower named Hymenocallis. Its widely found in UAE and is known for its ability to adapt to tropical climates.
9. It took a total of 22 million man hours to complete its construction.
10. Its construction used largest cranes in the world with a carrying capacity of 25 tons.
11. Tom cruise climbed the building during filming of the movie, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.
12. It contains a total of 57 elevators and 8 escalators. The fastest rising and descending speed of the double deck elevators is 10 m/s (33 ft/s), while single deck elevators have the speed of 16.83 m/s. There are a total of 2,909 stairs from the ground floor to the 160th floor.
13. Its highest point is in the top, which is not accessible for tourists or for other purposes. Its top is a spire. The highest the elevator of Burj Khalifa reaches is 638 meters. You cannot go higher than this.