Lizards are a type of reptiles with over 4675 species. Most lizards are non-venomous. They can be of different sizes. The largest known species of lizard is Komodo Dragon that is found in Asian countries like Indonesia. Lizards are interesting creatures. They can be of many different colors. They have the unique characteristic of shedding their tail when in danger. Check out some more information and facts on lizards.
Information About Lizard Size
- Lizards grow all their lives. But their skin is not elastic and does not change as per the increasing size. For this reason, lizards shed their skin. This skin shedding process by lizard is known as ecdysis.
- Lizards are long with tail as one of prominent features. Their size depends on their species.
Which is the largest lizard in the world?
The largest lizard in the world is the Komodo Dragon. Its length measures upto 10 feet (3 meters) and it can weigh upto 80 kilograms.
Which is the smallest lizard in the world?
Tiny Dwarf Gecko is the smallest lizard in the world. It can grow up to 1.6 centimeters (0.6 inches) and weighs upto 120 milligrams (0.0042 ounces).
What do lizards eat? (Lizard Diet Information)
Most lizards are omnivores. They usually eat insects like ants, spiders, cicadas, crickets, caterpillars and, termites. They can also eat small mammals. Since they are omnivores, they can also eat fruits and vegetables like apple, lettuce, strawberry, blueberry, etc.
Some lizards are herbivores. Some examples of herbivore lizards are Iguana and Chuckwallas.
- Lizards have a dry and scaly skin. They are cold blooded creatures and rely on the outside environment to keep themselves warm and functional. Lizards are inactive and hibernating during winters. Their hunting period is in summers. They enjoy sun-bathing.
- Most lizards are not social, but solitary creatures except in mating time.
- Most lizards lay eggs, while some are also viviparous. They can lay up 23 eggs at a time and the gestation period of eggs is 12 months.
- Baby lizards are capable of walking and feeding on their earn right from their birth.
- Lizards can live up to 48-50 years of age.
Types of Lizards (Appearance)
Types of lizards on the basis of their appearance are as follows:
- Diploglossa: These include knob-scaled and legless lizards.
- Gekkota: Legless lizards, Geckos and blind lizards fall under this type.
- Iguania: iguanas, chameleons, agamas, leopard, earless, spiny, and anoles lizards
- Platynota: These include gila monsters and earless lizards
- Scincomorpha: These include skinks, plated, spiny tail, and night lizards.
Interesting Facts About Lizards
- Chameleons are able to express their mood by changing the color of their skin according to their habitat. This animal also has fused toes, like lobster. Chameleon tails can be used to hold objects or prey. Long chameleon tongues are able to quickly to catch prey.
- Phrynoma is nicknamed as a horned lizard because, on its head, there are thick, thorny horns. The uniqueness of this type of lizard is its ability to spray blood towards the enemy from the corners of their eyes up to a distance of 5 meters.
- Geckos have a lot of uniqueness. In addition to its distinctive sound, geckos are a type of lizard that is able to shoot dirt accurately towards its enemy.
- Even more amazing, geckos have anti-gravity legs. Small and fine strands of hair on the gecko’s feet can trigger the pull of air molecules.
- The fossil species of Adriosaurus microbacris is the oldest evidence of a lizard species which is estimated to be 95 million years old. The oldest fossil lizards had no legs, which later evolved into legged lizards as we see them today.
- Non-legged lizards and snakes at first glance look very similar and difficult to distinguish because they both have a scaly body, a long symmetrical shape and, a branching tongue.
- Another difference that is easier to observe is that legless lizards have eyelids. This means that lizards can blink. Unlike snakes. All types of snakes do not have eyelids aka always literate. Instead the eyes of snakes are protected by transparent scales.
- For some types of lizards, some skin casings are released completely and some are released in several pieces. Skin color changes in some types of lizards are affected by the presence of the adrenal glands.
- Lizards are also venomous. There are at least two types of lizards that are venomous, Heloderma Suspectrum and bead lizards from Mexico.
- Some of the types of lizards usually have a process of changing their teeth for most of their lives. But this does not apply to chameleons and agamid lizards.
- Lizards have a sense of smell that is very sharp.