Asia, the world’s largest continent, is home to some amazing countries. From most technologically advanced to most spiritual and laid-back countries, Asian countries showcase both. Japan, China, India, Bhutan, South Korea, Middle-east countries, island nations, here are some Interesting Facts About Countries In Asia.
Asian Countries Fact #1: Earthquakes and Volcanoes
- Japan faces 1500 earthquakes every year.
- Asian countries, Indonesia, Thailand, India, Bagladesh, Australia and Sri Lanka were some of the countries hit by Tsunami (a sea earthquake) in 2004. It killed more than 300,000 people.
Asian Countries Fact #2: Population
- Kumbh Mela in India is the biggest gathering of people in the world. It sees almost 100 million people gather for the holy bath.
- India’s population is more than the entire western hemisphere. Read more facts about India.
Asian Countries Fact #3: Infrastructure
- A dam in China slowed down the rotation of earth around its own axis by 0.06 microseconds. It’s because wider objects rotate slowly. The dam is so massive that it slowed down the earth’s rotation. It holds back 39.3 cubic kilometers of water.
- Hong Kong is known as the city of skyscrapers with more than 1200 skyscrapers. It also has more Rolls Royce than anywhere else in the world. It is an autonomous territory and is known as the “Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China.” Read more facts about China.
- UAE in Asia is home to world’s tallest building – Burj Khalifa. It is in its capital city Dubai. Also, Dubai police uses Ferraris, Bugatti, Lamborghini, and Veyron to chase criminals.
Asian Countries Fact #4: Island Nations
- Indonesia is made up of 18,307 islands. It is home to world’s largest lizard, known as komodo dragon. Indonesia also has the world’s largest flower, called Rafflesia arnoldi. It smells like dead fish. Indonesia has 3rd most number of volcanoes in the world, that is – 139 volcanoes.
- Singapore is among world’s top 20 smallest countries. Singapore is made up of 63 islands. However, most of them are uninhabited. Despite gaining freedom very recently and lack of natural resources, Singapore is very advanced and is much ahead of other countries that had many advantages.
- Philippines has more 7000 islands in its territory. It is world’s leading producer of coconuts. It has one of the deadliest volcanoes of the world, named Talisay, Batangas. Philippines is known for the amazing lake inside lake inside lake picturesque.
Asian Countries Fact #4: Religion
- Thailand is primarily a Buddhist country. It is also home to world’s largest gold Buddha. It weighs 5,500 kg and is worth $250 million. There are more than 40,000 temples in Thailand.
- One of the oldest civilizations of the world emerged from Iran. Iran has second largest natural gas reserves in the world and also the third largest oil reserves in the world. Iran is an islamic country.
- Myanmar is essentially a Buddhist country. It is also known as the land of golden pagoda. Aung San Suu Kyi of Myanmar has received Nobel Prize for Peace. Myanmar is also conflicted with Rohingya refugees.
Asian Countries Fact #4: Rivers, Mountains, Ecodiversity and Geography
- Vietnam has a perfume river that smells really nice because of flowers falling into it. In vietnam, people prefer pale and white skin over tanned skin. Vietnam is famous for water puppetry.
- Malaysia is known for its ethnic diversity, with people from Malay, Chinese and Indian origin living together in the country. Malaysia is home to unique flora and fauna. It famous for endangered orangutans, world’s largest flower, and Durian, an extremely strong smelling fruit whose smell has a subduing effect. Another fruit called Mangosteen can counter the effects of durian.
- Asian countries have the highest peaks in the world. The first highest peak Mt Everest is in Nepal. The second highest peak, K2 is in Pakistan, while the third highest peak, Kanchenjunga is shared by India and Nepal.
- The Himalaya Mountain range in Asia is the youngest and also the highest mountain range in the world.
Asian Countries Fact #5: Technology
- South Korea is one of the most advanced countries in the world when it comes to technology. The country has highest internet speed in the world. It has the world’s busiest airport as well as the busiest air route. Another fascinating fact about South Korea is that it has an erotic theme part that gives sex education. It is also known as the break-dancing capital of the world.
Asian Countries Fact #6: Wars and Dispute
- In Pakistan, there’s a special bill under which no one can make fun of the government officials. Despite gaining independence 70 years ago, the country’s literacy rate is just 55%.
- Syria, although war torn now, was among the founding member of the peace keeping United Nations. In just 1 month of December, Syria suffered about 9,000 airstrikes by the USA and Russia.
- Some of the enemy countries in Asia are: North Korea and South Korea, India and Pakistan, Iran and Iraq. These countries have had many ferocious wars with each other.
Asian Countries Fact #7: Middle-East Oil and Gas Resource
- Saudi Arabia, just like its middle-east counterparts is one of the major gas reservoirs of the world. Saudi Arabia offers some of the most cruel punishments in the world to the offenders. For example, the offender is stoned to death for committing adultery. In fact, in some cases, thieves have their hands chopped off.
- Israel is one of the most advanced countries in the middle-east. Its economy is larger than all of its neighbours combined. It also at a very high strategic risk militarily as all its neighbouring countries are its enemies. Israel has fought wars with almost all of its neighbours like Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Saudi Arabia, and Iraq. Israel is very strong militarily and in defence equipments.
- Iraq is known as the cradle of civilization as this was where first ever human civilizations appeared. Iraq is also known for deadly attack by Saddam Hussain.
Asian Countries Fact #7: Happiness on the Continent
- Bhutan, also known as the thunder dragon is one of the most peaceful nations in the world. There is a law in Bhutan that states that 60% of the country will always be covered with green cover. They have a huge respect for the environment. Also, the country first saw TV and internet only about 19 years ago!
Asian Countries Fact #7: Weird Facts
- It’s not uncommon in Japan to adopt grown men. It is because males carry the family name forward. The practice is usually common in wealthy business families as the adopted men can carry forward the business.
- India and China make up 1/3rd of the world’s population.
- It is illegal to be fat in Japan.
- Despite of the fact that China has so many longitudes, it still has just one 1 time zone.
- South Korea celebrates 2 Valentine’s Day for single and couples.